Active Transportation Plan
The Town of Florence is currently working with Michael Baker International (MBI) to prepare an Active Transportation Plan. What is an Active Transportation Plan? An Active Transportation Plan analyzes bicycle and pedestrian traffic and the connectivity between destinations throughout Florence using sidewalks, bike lanes and trails. The project is funded in part by a grant from the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG).
Purpose & Need
- The Town of Florence competed for and was awarded grant funding from the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) to assist in the preparation of this Active Transportation Plan (ATP).
- The Town of Florence has never had a bicycle and pedestrian master plan.
How will the Active Transportation Plan help the Town of Florence?
- This ATP will develop policies and procedures necessary to create a system for bicycle and pedestrian traffic in an integrated, safe and efficient multi-modal transportation system for Florence.
- Policies will be supported by maps and other graphics to identify and promote enhanced mobility and connection in Town – including the locations of bicycle and pedestrian paths/trails to connect neighborhoods and other key locations in the community…. Heritage Park, Community Center, Aquatic Center, other activity/job centers.
- Establish a formal inventory of existing bike and pedestrian facilities and identify critical gaps in the system.
- Conduct a survey of Florence residents on their walking and biking attitudes and behaviors to better understand community expectations on these issues.
- Identify safety concerns and recommend design solutions.
- Obtain community input to help evaluate and prioritize short, medium, and long-term improvements.