McFarland State Historical Park
McFarland State Histoic Park
McFarland State Park began its colorful history as Florence’s first Pinal County Courthouse and every week there was a public dance at the courthouse. Built in 1877, it held the sheriff’s office, the courtroom, the judge’s chambers, and the jail on the first floor. The second story was used as a jury room and quarters for visiting lawmen. When a larger courthouse was built in 1891, the adobe structure became the county hospital. In 1938, the building became a welfare and public health center, and later, in 1963, the Pinal County Historical Society acquired and maintained the building as a museum until 1970. In 1974, former governor Ernest W. McFarland purchased the building and donated it to the Arizona State Parks Board for an historic park. Today, visitors tour the building where they can see and feel for themselves the history of Arizona and the people who helped shape it. While at the park, take a moment to visit the archives to see the collection of Ernest McFarland memorabilia from the days when he served in all three branches of government.
Location: 24 West Ruggles, Downtown Florence