Proclamations, certificates, congratulatory letters and keys to the Town are ceremonial in nature and are issued by the Mayor and members of the Florence Town Council. They are intended to honor and celebrate special events, significant issues, or increase awareness. This policy is subject to change per the wishes of the Town Council and they reserve the right to modify or deny any request.
Proclamations are issued for:
- Public Awareness campaigns
- Celebrations within the Town of Florence
- Promotion of a Town event or Town department-related occasion (e.g. Public Works Week, Fire Prevention Week)
- Special Honor
- Birthday (90+)
- Wedding Anniversary (50+)
Certificates and Congratulatory Letters are issued for:
- Certificates and Congratulatory Letters are provided by the Mayor’s Office to be of service to Florence Town residents and guests. The purpose of a certificate/letter is to celebrate achievements and recognize individuals or organizations for their accomplishments. Certificates of recognition/letters are provided for significant birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, professional celebrations and award recipients.
Requests should be made a minimum of 30 business days in advance of the date that the document is needed. All requests must be made in writing and can be mailed, faxed, hand-delivered or emailed to the Town Clerk’s Office.
The “Key to the Town” is bestowed upon distinguished persons and honored guests of the Town of Florence. The “Key to the Town” is a symbolic gesture of appreciation and welcome to a person or entity. Because it is one of the Town of Florence’s highest honors, the Key will only be presented in a manner that is consistent with the Town’s vision, mission and goals.
Criteria for Key to the Town:
The Mayor, or his/her designee, may present a “Key to the Town” to honor a Florence resident, distinguished guest, or entity with significant accomplishments in one or more of the following categories:
- Professional or amateur sports
- The entertainment industry
- Military service
- Public service
- Humanitarian efforts
- A Florence resident reaching the age of 100 years
- A person who performed an act of heroism while in the Town limits
- A dignitary or celebrity visiting the Town of Florence
Requests for a Key to the Town to be presented in recognition of circumstances other than those listed above will be considered on a case-by-case basis. All requests for a “Key to the Town” presentation should be submitted to the Mayor, through the Town Clerk’s Office, for consideration.
Presentation of Key to the Town
The Key to the Town is customarily presented at the Town Council Meeting; however, there may occasions when it is requested that the Key to the Town be presented at an event outside of the Town Council meeting.
If the Key to the Town is presented outside of a Town Council Meeting, the Mayor, Town Council, and Town Manager shall be invited to attend the event in which the Key to the Town is to be presented to the recipient.
Individuals and organizations wishing to invite the Mayor or Council to speak at, or attend, an event must submit a formal request to Town Clerk’s Office. Include the date, time and location in which the event will be held.
Please also note that due to a very busy schedule, the Mayor and Council Members may not be able to accept every invitation.